Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Closeted Hockey Fan Coming Out


OK, so maybe I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a "fan," actually, but ever since we saw the Bruins play the Capitals, I have developed a curiosity of sorts for the game of Hockey as well as the Boston Bruins.

In last night's against the Nashville Predators, which we watched on our fancy big TV, at least three Bruins got in a fight, including the goalie! I mean, how often do you see the goalie throw down?!

I was also amazed to see one guy's hockey stick break in mid-play. I asked one expert, Biff, what happens in this case: "What do you mean what happens? Nothing happens, they keep playing. Maybe that guy should get a better stick if he wants to play hockey."

My response: "Now that's a game!" I mean, the rules still make about as much sense as the rules of football (only three blitzes an inning?!, j/k, inside joke, but I bet you can imagine me saying it sincerely) but if I had to pick a game where arbitrary rules are established and the pieces put into play according to said rules for an arbitrary period of time, then I guess I'd choose hockey. Come to think of it, that's not much different than life.

p.s. This blog is not about baseball. (Or hockey)

4 comments:

Vergie Bridges said...

I like hockey too. I would like it even more if I understood the rules better.

Kevin said...

You can always ask, VB. I know everything there is to know.

"p.s. This blog is not about baseball."

Uh huh... Just wait until pitchers and catchers report next month.

Anonymous said...

Now let's build on your knowledgebase BKDM:

In what inning do beer sales stop at a hockey game?

Unknown said...

Flippin Bruins....GO PREDS!!!! I love hockey so much I convinced my wife from Alabama to let me get season tickets when we moved to Nashville. You should love it LWood, it's really just another excuse to justify drinking beer on random nights between Football and Baseball Season...cause the NBA sucks and it's way cooler to say you're a hockey fan. The answer to what to do when the stick breaks is actually very interesting....sometimes they can get a new one, sometimes they can't, sometimes they borrow one from another player on the ice....very interesting!