Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dropkicks in Dorchester? Wicked Pissah

Here can be seen a tattered banner of the 103rd chapter of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, located in Dorchester, MA. It's on Freeport St between Beach and Park (near the Fields Corner T stop), this hardy group of workers say it loud, and say it proud.

As we waited in line to enter the building we saw next to the handwritten "beer bar" sign another sign clearly stating "AA is at the school" with an arrow pointing across the street.
Siobhan's note: Can you think of a worse place to end up as you seek your AA meeting?



We entered what reminded me of a high school gymnasium decorated for the winter dance (with the primary exception being that it was ringed with electrical workers on security detail). It was not a crowded show, and almost all of the people that attended were from the area. It was definitely a local show, which was fucking awesome. One man - originally from the area - came down from Connecticut for the weekend and was going to see the Dropkicks four times. He said his four-year-old daughter was asleep under one of the tables in the back of the auditorium! Hahaha, awesome!
Siobhan's note #2: See prior "Child Abuse, Masshole Style" post.



The show rocked so much: from the IBEW [bag]pipers opening, to the Dropkicks inviting all the crowd up on stage with them, to Ken Casey bringing out his grandmother on stage for a song or two. We reveled in every mad moment. Siobhan's note #3: They played "Which Side Are You On," "Tessie," and "Dirty Water," thereby satisfying my burgeoning Masshole tendencies.













Bosox Siobhan blew out her voice from yelling too much Siobhan's note #4: I've never been quiet for such a long time in my life, and BKDM got some nice scrapes from the pit. How can you not love these guys? Siobhan's note #: Looks to me like BKDM might have some latent Masshole tendencies of his own.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep seeing him write it, but I just can't picture BKDM actually saying, "wicked Pissah." I really hope I'm drunk when I finally do, because it will be that much funnier. Somehow I'm sure I will be...

yesiamahooker said...

"which side are you on?" was written and is about Harlan County, Kentucky. that qualifies by massholery in what way?

I still maintain Flogging Molly is a better band, fronted by an actual irishman. "the worst day since yesterday" might be the best song ever. no shit.

then again my lone dropkicks concert was at possible the suckiest space ever.

Vespa Jay said...

so, I guess I missed the AA meeting? Where again did you say it was moved to?

BoSox Siobhan said...

I know about the provenance of Which Side; I even dropped that knowledge on BKDM at the show. I was mostly referring to Dirty Water and Tessie when I talked about the Massholery.
You know another "Irish" band I like? The Tossers.

BloodKillerDeathMan said...

yesiamahooker: El Dubb just told me it was at "Nation." Anything at that place,even a show by Paul Oakenfold, would completely suck. It's okay, I don't blame you.