Saturday, February 2, 2008

I Saw the Trophys!


I experienced a huge Masshole milestone last night -- I got to meet a few of the World Champion Red Sox players, Alex Cora and Javier Lopez (who though born in Puerto Rico, went to Robinson HS and UVa). Plus, I got an autograph from the team's manager, Terry Francona.
I was at the Hyde Park Lions Club Sportsmen of the Year Banquet; Cora and Lopez were recipients and Francona was there as an added bonus.
Oddly, I had the longest athlete-chat with Todd Collins, the Boston-area boy who started for the Washington Redskins toward the end of the season and managed to help get them into the playoffs. You know I don't care about the Redskins; this info is for Kevin.
The most exciting news of the night was when they announced that the 2 (!) World Series trophys were in the building and that we could have our pictures taken with them. I waited my turn and didn't knock over any kids, but I was so giddy that my hands were shaking. My co-worker Rich, who got the tickets, took my picture for posterity. Now I can mark one more thing off my "To Do List for Becoming An Insufferable Masshole." Next up: Superbowl XLII.

5 comments:

chimney fall cat said...

I think that this part of your new Masshole experience is great...I was a little disappointed to hear something about LDubb getting on the Pats bandwagon...where is the LDubb I know? I'm just sayin. Although you know I hate both Brady and Manning and quiet frankly both teams I have to go for the Giants...at least Eli is a little more less hated than Peyton. Love Ya!

Ann said...

Javier Lopez went to UVa and Robinson? Who knew? Is Todd Collins as incredibly nice as he seems? I'm just quite impressed with how you're working the Boston experience!

BloodKillerDeathMan said...

Not that I care, but we definitely traded "up" in the sports department when we moved.

BoSox Siobhan said...

So much for that Superbowl experience. That didn't go as expected, did it?

yesiamahooker said...

even the week of the super bowl and the red sox are still big news. now that is 100% masshole!