Sunday, November 16, 2008

California Days

This may be a rather long blog post, but don't worry, it's a picture essay (heavy on the pictures) chronicling my adventures in San Francisco (well, the PG ones, anyway!). I'm a little behind, so I won't blog about the conference until tomorrow when I have some better pictures.






After walking through Chinatown and across Lombard Street (pictured right, the so-called "crookedest street in San Francisco" - this is not the super-crookedy part) ....





...I made my way to Fisherman's Wharf. The first thing I did there was visit the Aquarium. A very interesting place indeed, with the mission to "Save the Bay" from pollution, overfishing, etc. They have many kinds of sharks here, three of which don't even need to actively swim to breathe - a very rare shark trait indeed. I also petted a ray.


The aquarium was beautiful, and I had worked up an appetite, so I went for lunch on the pier. Lunch consisted of a dozen raw oysters and a bloody mary that would make a gay man cry. Clearly, I enjoyed it, and also topped it off with a final oyster shooter.































After that spectacular meal, I rented a bicycle, with the mission to bike across the Golden Gate.

On the way, I stopped at the old fort which is stationed below the bridge. This was a serious military outpost in its older days.









After crossing the bridge, I coasted down into Saucilito (which is where I think protected witnesses must be hiding out). I got a sandwich at a deli and had a picnic on the beach. 82 degrees.






It was so hard to leave, but luckily, I didn't bring my heart. It is still in Medfuh with my girl. GOODBYE, San Francisco!



That bicycle ride really wore me out. It took about four hours and I took a ferry back across the bay. Waiting at the train station and waiting on the train was a combined four hours of hell I could have done without.


Thankfully, the Sheraton is a fabulous hotel. Lots of bath goodies, nice big room with a long desk for blogging, amazing room service, and yes, a heavy terry cloth robe in the closet.












This is the antipasto sampler and a bottle of VOSS sparkling water. Hey, I am in California, right?

4 comments:

Vergie Bridges said...

You said Bloody Mary and Fabulous in the same post. Did you come out of the closet and not tell me?

BoSox Siobhan said...

I MISS YOU!!

YesIamaHooker said...

BKDM, gayer than a tangerine. who knew?

Vespa Jay said...

I am now offering lessons most days of the week if you need help with the transition.