Monday, October 29, 2007

The Best "Welcome to Boston" Gift EVER!

I know that Jim has reiterated that this is NOT A BASEBALL BLOG!
But on this day, in this place, how can I not write a something about how it feels to be surrounded by people who are a little bit happier, kinder, who walk with a lightness of step and who, despite being severely sleep-deprived, feel refreshed and, dare I say, normal?
The Sox normalized all of us, their fans last night; this World Series win feels different, less like there was something to prove and more like our team was the best team, wire to wire. I didn't even cry at all - even when cancer-survivor Mike Lowell won the Series MVP. (SIGN HIM!)
I am cognizant that I'm stepping near Ken Burns and George F. Will territory here as I glorously opine about the national pastime and that C.T. is going to give me an unending ration of shit for being so emotional about a game.
Instead I'll let one of our nation's best poets, Walt Whitman, speak for me:
I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game. It will...be a blessing to us.
Amen, Walt. Amen.

7 comments:

Juancho said...

Congratulations to the Sox.

It's official- I'm tired of saying that.

BloodKillerDeathMan said...

I'm tired of hearing it

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya bloodkillerdeathman. At least we have The Avalanche

yesiamahooker said...

At least you will have the Sawx victory to keep you warm during the cold dark Medfahd wintah you retahd.

BloodKillerDeathMan said...

yesiamahooker, you can have all the warmth in Texas (and Oklahoma)...

yesiamahooker said...

but i will be comforted by the loving embrace of shiner bock

Unknown said...

hey the rockies lost. fuck the red sox!