Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Of Cici, Polly's, and NPR

While getting dressed this morning and idly listening to NPR, what (or rather, who?) to my surprise should I hear? Why, if it isn't Cici from the Polly's Cafe talking about U Street History! The article, Tracing a D.C. Neighborhood's Comeback from 1968, was a two-part feature on NPR about Washington D.C.'s U Street Corridor, the King riots of 1968, and the history of the neighborhood thereafter.

It's always fun to hear the voice of someone you know on the radio, though I can't help but wonder: Where was Rita-Jean in all this?

1 comment:

Vespa Jay said...

I too heard this story and about fell out of the shower. While I wasn't here to witness the rebirth of U Street firsthand, I feel Ms. Cici may have been given far more credit than she is due. Regardless...good advertising for her.

Regarding RJ...he wasn't here in the beginning, but sure has contributed to the diversity of the 'hood. In more ways than we probably know.